Bexley SEND IASS, Civic Offices, 2 Watling Street, Bexleyheath, DA6 7AT

SEN Support

This section provides information and advice about supporting children or young person WITHOUT AN EHCP with special educational needs and disabilities in education. 

What is a Special Educational Need?

A ‘Special Educational Need (or SEN)’ means help that is in addition to, or different from the support generally given to all children of the same age.

Teachers make adjustments so that they can meet the wide range of needs for all the children in any given class and this is known as ‘differentiation’.

A school will only recognise a child has a Special Educational Need (or SEN) if they need further adjustments or support

on top of ‘differentiation’.

A child does not need a medical diagnosis to be recognised as having SEN.

SEN is not always about a child’s academic attainment. Some children may have other barriers to learning.

These are the four broad areas of need, a full description of each can be found in the SEND Code of Practice 2015:

  • communication and interaction
  • cognition and learning
  • social, emotional and mental health difficulties
  • sensory and/or physical needs

The SEND Code of Practice 2015 says:

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. (xiii) A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she: * has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or * has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions (xiv)

Video shared courtesy of SEND IASS Suffolk

What is SEN support?

Schools, nursery schools and colleges should identify pupils who may be having difficulty and decide whether SEN support is appropriate.

A child does not need a medical diagnosis to be recognised as having SEN.

This means Nursery Schools, Schools and Colleges, must use their ‘best endeavours’ to put appropriate support in place.

As a parent / carer you may be the first to notice that your child has special educational needs. If you think your child in nursery or school needs SEN support talk to their class teacher, form tutor or to the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). For colleges you will need to talk to student or learning support, this information should be on their website.

SEN Support is provided as  part of a graduated cycle of ‘assess, plan, do, review‘. Bexley IASS has developed 3 SEN Support tools for parents which you will find here:


Video shared courtesy of SEND IASS Suffolk 

Who you can speak to for information and advice: 

It can be overwhelming and confusing understanding this process.

If you have any questions regarding SEN Support please contact:

Choosing a school for your child with Special Educational Needs 

Bexley IASS works at  arms-length from the local authority, we offer impartial information, advice and support around Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).

Due to our impartiality, we cannot offer advice or opinion on the most suitable school for your child. 

Here is a link to the Bexley Local Offer page on Schools – Specialist Resource Provisions, Special Schools, Out of Borough and Section 41 C&F Act Approved List

Skip to content